Twins, Vikes and Wolves

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Examining Tim Hardaway

I listened to sport talk radio as I drove about 250 miles by myself today during work. All of the hosts were in their politically correct mode as they continually pounded the bigot, prejudice, label on him. Sure, he deserved it. Really was bad to say. Then they didn't seem to accept his apology afterwards. Did Hardaway deserve to be pulled back and forth across the carpet for his remarks about hating gays?

I sometimes do not catch myself thinking from thinking that way. But then I catch myself and realize that it is not the person that I hate, it's the sin. Let me clear myself. I heard on Jim Rome's program, the interview with Don Ameche, who is gay. Ameche said that being gay "is not a disease." He also went on to say that being gay "is not a choice." I agree on the point that it is not a disease. I also say that alcoholism is not a disease. But I disagree on the second quote in that it is a choice. It is a lifestyle choice that one decides to take. Just as deciding to drink is a choice, and just as deciding to be a murder is a choice, deciding to be gay is a choice. We all have different character makeups that give us all different areas where we are given a choice. Some of these choices are meaningless, while some are big, glaring and troublesome. As a christian, I view homosexuality as a sin, because the bible says it is. So is drunkenness, killing, adultry and stealing. We all have the temptation for these things, and can choose to do them, or avoid them. They are sins. There are plenty of instances in the Bible where God say's if you do these things, you will pay the penalty, but if you follow what I say and not do them, you will be blessed. Enough said.

Fellow christians should not fall for this. Maybe Tim Hardayway was mixed up and really ment to say, I hate the sin. Thats where I have to catch myself. I hate the sin, but not the sinner.